The M16 And The M4 Simply Doesn't Cut It
Create Post

Question The M16 And The M4 Simply Doesn't Cut It

05-30-2007

The M16 And The M4 Simply Doesn't Cut It

The popular theory seems to be that the United States Fighting Warrior has the most advanced war fighting technology in the world at his/her disposal. It is a false presumption.

Body Armor aside however, I am gravely concerned with the Army's decision to increase its stockpiles of M4 Assault Rifles, rather than replace it with something better. This weapon system, less reliable than the M16 has done nothing more than dull the teeth of the American war fighter. Especially in the face of so many alternatives.

Two potential candidates come to mind, and yet both have been overturned by the greater powers of the US Armed Forces.

The XM-8 Assault Rifle seemed to be the next phase for the United States Armed Forces. As durable as it was reliable, this weapon seemed to be capable of doing it all. It could be adjusted into five varients depending on mission requirements; compact for convoy operations, baseline for infantry, even sharpshooter or automatic for more precise attacks, or fire superiority. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Unfortunately the project was cancelled in 2005, and I couldn't comprehend as to why.

Then came the HK416, and suddenly the XM-8's termination made sense. Afterall, why order hundreds of thousands of new XM-8's when you could order just as many upper receivers for the HK416, just as reliable, and each specifically designed to fit onto the lower receiver of an M4. Not only would costs be cut in half, but the weapons uncanny resemblence to the M4 would ease training requirements. The HK416 has been kicked in the dirt, drowned in water, and layed in mud before firing, and has been remarkably reliable.

Completely redesigned, the HK416 is being raved as the first weapon to ever surpass the AK47.

But to my surprise, despite the fact that Special Forces components are using the weapon with tremendous esteem, the US Army has decided instead to purchase several hundred thousand more M4's. Their reasoning? Let's wait until 2010 and see if there's something better then. Why does something in my gut tell me it's always going to be "later", when we're using a weapon that should have been retired long ago.

Something that a soldier needs more than ballistic protection, is a reliable weapon to fight with. The M16 and the M4 simply doesn't cut it. I hope that Soldiers for the Truth will tackle this issue with the same resolve as body armor.

Respectfully,

[Name & unit withheld] Veteran, Operation Iraqi Freedom (2004-2005)

Ellie

Anyone here remember Hill 881? Crap we knew this at that time.

although heavy, the M14 still the best weapon I ever shot.

M16/M4 problems

The M16/M4 problems are well known and continue to be blamed on the service members, Marines, Sailors, Coast Guard, Soldiers and Airmen.There are better WEAPONS AVAILABLE! If you want to stay with 5.56 well try the following XM8,HK416,or TAR21. Fact is the M16/M4 are not engineered to the same standard that the M1 Garand or the Browning Automatic Rifle. I believe the answer should be a complete overhaul of how weapons are designed, tested and fielded. Start with a single caliber and it can operate in all climates with little or no changes. That is one person's thoughts.

ya the m14 was a sweet rifle. the m4 is nice but the hk416 very nice,saw it on FutureWeapons had a segment on it and it looked good.

Thread Information